[CS-FSLUG] Internet safety for school families

Chad Fluegge chadfluegge at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 13:27:59 CDT 2007

There is a Linux Distro that is based off of Ubuntu. Actually, it's pretty
much Ubuntu with some handy, faith-based programs pre-installed.

Not only does it come with Dansguardian already preconfigured, but it also
comes with a GUI for Dansguardian. I have it installed on my desktop and my
laptop. If you already have a cd of Ubuntu 7.04, you can just download a
script and do an upgrade; otherwise, you'll have to download the entire ISO.

Ubuntu CE is the name of the distro by the way.

On 9/1/07, veritosproject at gmail.com <veritosproject at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/07, Yama Ploskonka <Yama at veritasacademy.net> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am due to give a talk on computer safety to parents in the Christian
> > school I work in.  I had happily planned to talk about keeping yourself
> > safe from macros and malware by using Linux or at the very least Firefox
> > and Open Office, but when I did a bit of googling I came to realize that
> > apparently chatting and irresponsible surfing (excessive time, evil
> > websites, my-space) are more of a real daily problem especially for
> > families with teens.
> >
> > It appears this can be dealt with through education or monitoring
> > software.  We all know that education don't work for most (bad grammar
> > on purpose), as a teacher I can say so :-(
> >
> > Do you'all know about Open Source monitoring / filtering software?
> >
> > There was some sort of Christian Linux somewhere, does it come with
> > something like that built in?
>
> Yeah, it's called DansGuardian. http://www.dansguardian.org/ is the
> site. I've seen it in action, and it's effective enough. The only hard
> part might be difficulty of configuration; it's a command line app
> meant to run over Squid or another proxy.

Chad Fluegge
Psalms 61:5 For thou, O God, hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the
heritage of those that fear thy name.
Ezra 7:10 For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, and
to do it, and to teach in Israel statutes and judgments.