[CS-FSLUG] Slightly off-topic message

Robinson Mitchell robinson.mitchell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 08:31:05 CDT 2007

Greetings to the list from someone who mostly lurks.

I wanted to send a note to the list because I suspect there may be
some list members who might enjoy reading a book by John Elder Robison
entitled _Look Me In The Eye_.  His blog and information about the
book is here:

http://www.jerobison.blogspot.com/

How does this relate to Linux?  John Robison is an Aspergian, someone
who has Asperger's syndrome, a genetic neurological condition related
to the autism spectrum.  Aspergians tend to be extremely bright, and
gravitate to machines and computers.  Socially they tend to be a bit
awkward, and studies show a much larger demographic of Aspergians in
the IT profession than can be accounted for by raw probability.  I
know two Aspergians who are in IT, and I suspect there may be some
other folks who read this list who have been a bit different than
other people in ways that are difficult to express.

On this list there are a lot of very bright people who are good with
IT.  There are a few geeks as well, folks who are really good with IT
but maybe not so strong with people.  In the latter group there are
likely some folks who never heard of Asperger's but for whom reading
John Robison's book might be a revelation.

And with those words posted, I'll probably go back to lurking for a
few months.

BTW I have not bought the book, though I've read some interviews with
Robison and the book is on my todo list.  I'm not connected with the
author or publisher in any way - I just happen to know some IT folks
who have Aspergers and a couple of Christian Aspergians as well, and
thought that there may be some others who would enjoy or benefit from
knowing about this book.

Kindest regards to all,

Rob Mitchell