[CS-FSLUG] International Data

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Wed Nov 28 14:26:35 CST 2007

Hi there,
I have had some experience with this.  ;)  Actually, the last three
weeks I have been working on such a package (opensource, community
developed, etc.).  BUT, what I am working on will be considerably larger
than just a contact management system.  It will also contain financial
stuff (payroll, receipting, etc.)  We are scheduled to have it fully
deployed at our first location in the second quarter 2008.  Our first
part of the project to be deployed was scheduled to go out today, but we
are still a few days out.

For our international address component, we have a number of things
going for us.  Operation Mobilization (a mission organization) has a
contact management system that is currently deployed in 90+ countries.
They have given us their database structure, and we have used that as a
reference for our design.  Oddly enough, some of the mailing
considerations here in the States are more confusing than what we have
in other countries.  Here we have a lot of "bulk mail" issues, with
different prices, address certifications, complex bar-codes, and a lot
of interesting things.

I will need to talk with Greg to see if we could send you our current
database structure.  I think that is a possibility.

But also, if you wanted to help out on our project, we would be happy to
talk with you on that.  We are developing using entirely open-source
stuff.  The users will have a web/AJAX interface so it has a snappy look
and feel.  Because I have personally worked with over 60 missions in 9
countries, I know there are a LOT of peculiarities in missions.  We have
developed our behind-the-scenes infrastructure to fit with what I have
seen and experienced, so that, hopefully, missions will have the
flexibility they need to customize what we build to fit their own
needs.  Because we have not yet deployed our first application, we will
need to wait to see if we have been successful in our flexible design.  :)

Oh.  Regardless, the best folks to talk about this will be at the ICCM
conference (www.ICCM.org).  While at the conference, you would probably
not have all your questions answered, but you would make the contacts
with the people who can answer them...

    - Tim Young, Field Consultant
    LightSys Technology Services, Inc
    www.lightsys.org

Links to pages that are woefully out of date:
Kardia (our application): kardia.sf.net
Centrallix(the background infrastructure): centrallix.sf.net