[CS-FSLUG] Jobs at Rackspace

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 05:12:44 CST 2007

Just thought I'd throw this out if anyone is looking to move ... :)

I work third shift Linux support at Rackspace Managed Hosting in San
Antonio.  I know we have about 8 open positions for Level 2 Linux
techs that they are having a hard time filling, just for third shift
alone.  There are probably more for first and second shift.

To qualify, you would need to know most of the following (though a few
gaps in knowledge is probably forgivable):

* How to navigate a Linux system (mainly RHEL, occasionally you'll see
a different distro or FreeBSD)
* up2date, yum, and RPM
* How to manage processes, memory, filesystems, all that
* Apache configuration
* Postfix and Sendmail
* TCP/IP
* DNS troubleshooting (bind is not officially supported for customers
so you don't normally need to know the details of its config file)

Of course they're also mainly looking for people with good customer
service skills, since their motto is "Fanatical support" (and they
really do live by that, it isn't just marketing hype!).

There are also positions for third shift (and maybe first and second)
Network Security people.  Those folks manage firewalls, load
balancers, and advanced IP/DNS issues.

I'm pretty happy with the job, and it would be great to have more
Christians here.  The pay is decent, especially with the 3rd shift
differential.  They pay relocation for Level 2 techs.  And I would get
a $1000 bonus. :D

Plus, San Antonio is a fine place to live with relatively low cost of living.

E-mail me, probably best off-list, if interested. :)

-- MIcah