[CS-FSLUG] Laptop: Latest Episode

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Nov 7 09:51:39 CST 2007

For those inclined to follow what I'm doing with my Latitude D505, I
decided to give openSUSE a try. If I'm forced to use a mega-corp
product, it might as well be Linux.

Turns out it's the only one which worked "out of the box" -- I get
susped-to-RAM and hibernate without twiddling anything, from full GUI
and back to full GUI with no operational glitches. I get Ndiswrapper
working just fine with my Broadcom wirless. This is also the only
distro I've found which offered me a full 1024x768 framebuffer
resolution on my Intel graphics chipset.

I'm still not a fan of Novell and their corporate maneuvering with MS
and others, but the product works for me. I have escaped Windows with
full use of my laptop's features. I can't ask for more than that.

--
Ed Hurst