[CS-FSLUG] Console Desktop Projects

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Fri Nov 2 07:37:41 CDT 2007

Over the years since my involvement with Linux and BSD, I have run across
references to proposals and projects for creating a framebuffer desktop on
the console. No X server, no acceleration. Most of us have heard of Twin,
a project which went moribund sometime in 2003, AFAIK. There is also
mention of BSDVision, an attempt to adapt the TurboVision interface to
BSD. While 'screen' is a step in this direction, it is not the answer many
of these people were seeking. We might compare such projects to attempts
to create highly developed DOS desktop shells just about the time Windows
came out. It seems some people want point-n-click without having to run a
genuine GUI (I do). These are often referred to as a TUI = text user
interface.

Brothers and Sisters: What other Open Source projects are you aware of
which seem connected to this?

--
Ed Hurst