[CS-FSLUG] Samba and XP - I found a HOWTO do with XP

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Mar 5 17:40:50 CST 2007

Tim Young wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry to do this to you, but I have run out of time for a while.  :)  So
> if there are other samba gurus out there on this list, can you help out
> Hilding?
>
>     - Tim
Whats going on?  Trying to join a few winderz machines to a samba share?
Supposing that you want the share to be authenticated, you do the following:
1)Set your share up in the smb.conf.  For example:
[media]
    path = /mnt/ext
    valid users = linc
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no
    create mask = 0765

2) See your "valid users" up there?  They should be set to your windows
login names.  They also need to be set up with an account and password
for samba too.   You do that by adding the username in unix, then
assigning a samba password to it thusly:
useradd linc
smbpasswd linc
and tell it the *same password you use in windows* for that account name.
3) repeat 1 and 2 for any extra users and shares.
4) restart samba (just reboot your machine if you don't know how - the
proceedure is different for different distributions).
5) assuming you have the rest of you samba conf set up correctly, you
should be able to mount the share (Map Network Drive) under winderz as
if it was a windows share.

--
-Linc Fessenden