[CS-FSLUG] DansGuardian installation

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Sat Mar 3 12:22:21 CST 2007

The only real difference is that you need to set up a "transparent proxy
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/TransparentProxy.html

For this to work, you need to have the linux computer be the default
gateway for the windows computers. If it is the default gateway then all
outgoing web requests will pass through the Linux box. The transparent
proxy will redirect the web requests to the dans-guardian, which will
filter the contents.

If you do not want to pay for the dans-guardian blacklist, you can use
squidguard, which is a free version. Dans-guardian has a number more
options of things (and uses a different "policy". Dans Guardian allows
you to do keyword filtering, etc. Keyword filtering is sometimes
enjoyed, but others do not like it. For example, a news article about
the town of Essex may be blocked due to a partial word match. But, it
does filter out more pages, pages which might otherwise not show up in
the black-list but should.)

- Tim Young