[CS-FSLUG] Curiosity: Price comparison on hosting

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Jun 10 22:12:35 CDT 2007

Well, it just depends on the type of use. It looks to me that they
don't offer POP3 e-mail accounts, so if those are important to your
friend, they aren't an option there, but, for example, my smallest
publicly advertised account (I still have smaller) comes with 40 of
them. My accounts (like most web hosts) also comes with unlimited e-
mail forwarders, they charge extra for them. I'm not clear if it is
two cents per day per forwarder or for unlimited forwarders. Let's
assume the latter. That's $.60 per month.

Ok, on space, if you took the 300 MB from my $10 account, that'd be
$3.00. Assuming you also use the 20 GB of transfers, that would be
$20. Hence, my $10 account would be $23.60 at this place.

Or against my smaller (unadvertised) $5 account: 100 mb of space
would add up to $1.00 with this other host and my 5 GB of bandwidth
would add up to $5.00. Add in the 10 POP3's you can't get at this
other host, and the unlimited forwarders worth perhaps $.30 (unless
it would be $.30 per forwarder, once again), and you have $6.30/month
at that site.

Of course, your friend may not need all of those features. But, he
could always contact a host and see if they can offer what he needs
(be it my company or someone else -- I recommend HostingMatters, that
company is run by some of the finest folks in the industry). Like a
prepaid cell phone contract, you'll pay more at a place like
"NearlyFree" if you actually utilize resources, but if you don't use
anything, it might be cheaper.

I'm not clear if their "deposits" are monthly or not with a cursory
look. It sounds complicated: "This deposit fee is presently $1.00
plus 3% of the amount of your deposit that is over $20. That means,
if you make any deposit up to $20, you'll be charged $1.00 to cover
our actual costs of handling the deposit. If you deposit $50, you'll
be charged $1.00 plus 3% of $30. If you deposit $100, you'll be
charged $1.00 plus 3% of $80. This fee is applied no matter how you
make your deposit, including checks, credit cards, and PayPal."

At any rate, the best thing to do is go checkout WebHostingTalk.com.
Perhaps ask on there. The only thing I found about them there with a
quick search was that they apparently are a destination for "nude
art" that other hosts consider pornography. That'd make me a little
uncomfortable, personally.

Like I said, I like HostingMatters. I'd recommend them before this
place, probably. I also hear good things about BlueHost. Questions
that they may say on their site, but I didn't catch quickly: do they
have an easy-to-use account management control panel? Uptime
guarantee? Backups?

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher
tbutler at ofb.biz   | is bound in  his  way to  be a lover of myths  and
www.uninet.info   | poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in
timothybutler.us  | being big with wonder."
                                                      -- Thomas Aquinas