[CS-FSLUG] How to Upgrade a Mac Mini's CPU (Hey, Nathan take a look!)

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 21:17:20 CST 2007

I've seen something like this before, except it was for going from a
Core Solo to a Core Duo.

As much as I might like to have a faster Mini, I'm not comfortable
working in the guts of a computer that was designed to keep me out.
Apple just got lucky that I finally got curious enough to buy a Mac,
I would never have bought it otherwise just like I'll never buy a
brand name PC that won't take any off-the-shelf hardware and
facilitate the installation. If I thought it would work out ok, I'd
rather buy a copy of OS X by itself and then find myself a patched OS
X CD off The Pirate Bay so I can install it on a home built PC rather
than buy another piece of Apple hardware. I don't know that I'll be
getting another Mac until I either fill up the hard drive on this one
or the hardware dies after a few years, and my reasoning is that
after years of being able to simply open a PC and stick in a new hard
drive, video card, or RAM I don't want to be stuck with a platform
that will either only take one hard drive and make that and the ram
harder to get to, or one that does facilitate all that just like a
workstation PC, but costs twice what my working budget for a new
computer is.

I keep hoping someone at Apple will see the light and put out a mini-
tower computer, I'm picturing a shorter version of the Mac Pro with a
proper PCI-E slot or video card, a few PCI or PCI-E 1x slots
(depending on which is used more on macs), accessible RAM slots and
hard drive bays, tool-less entry and component addition/removal, and
at 60% or less of the cost of a Mac Pro. I'm not asking to be able to
buy the motherboards and processors myself, Apple can still make a
premium on mostly complete systems and then allow me to add in the
hardware I want with ease. Hey, even a headless version of the iMac
that made it easy to get to the RAM, replace the one optical drive
(even if the replacement has to come from Apple), and had an easy to
access hard drive bay with room for a second would be enough to keep
me happy.

If Apple designed computers the way I wanted them to, I'd be
replacing my optical drive with one that can burn DVDs, adding a PCI
card to get extra USB ports, adding in a proper video card, doubling
the ram again, replacing the hard drive with a bigger one, and adding
in a second hard drive.