[CS-FSLUG] Part 2 Ubuntu, XP and Fedora

hilding he7316575 at yahoo.se
Sun Feb 4 07:25:48 CST 2007

At the installation Fedora asks You if You have other systems on your PC
and it is noticed ahead which partition they belong to. Other - it means
Windows XP. If You have got another Linuxdist You have to make a special
notice about that, so I wrote Ubuntu and marked the partion sda3 if I
remember it right. The GRUB.conf with MENU.LST must have other notices
too. The kernel with all their figures. Before I got it right, I got
messages like error 13 or once error 15, and the third time after
correcting something I got all the text lying behind Ubuntu with
everything said that usually is not seen, and at some point, I think it
was, when almost everything was loaded, all stopped. Then I read about
GRUB once more, and compared with another installation, made my
correcting, and now, for some reason it is all OK, except the
printerinstallation of Brother MFC210C in Fedora. It is a mystery with CUPS.

Celebrating Candlemass almost 2 Febr I am greeting You all on this maillist.

/Hilding in Sweden

Tim Young skrev:
> The "partitions are not in disk order" is a dangerous one to mess with,
> but also should not cause you any problems.  The only real place where
> it might affect you is if you use something like partition magic and
> want to merge two partitions back together.  You may find that the two
> partitions, while listed together, cannot be merged because there is a
> partition separating them.
>
> You mention that you have the boot problem solved?  If not, could you
> elaborate on the symptoms?  Does the kernel load, or does it instantly
> give you an error when you try to load?
>
>     - Tim Young
>
> HildingE wrote:
>
>> In fact, once more reading grub.conf I noticed what went wrong, so for
>> some days it seems to be functioning all of it. But with Fedora You will
>> never know. I read about some bug in the first version. Does anyone know
>> something about it?
>>
>> This message that the partition table entries are not in disk order, I
>> find too dangerous to do anything about it!!
>>
>> /Hilding in Sweden
>>
>> Hilding Egestål skrev:
>>

>>> fdisk - l has given this:
>>>
>>> Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
>>> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
>>> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>>>
>>>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>> /dev/sda1           18183       19457    10241437+  83  Linux
>>> /dev/sda2   *        5434       18182   102403035    7  HPFS/NTFS
>>> /dev/sda3              54        5248    41728837+  83  Linux
>>> /dev/sda4            5249        5433     1486012+   5  Extended
>>> /dev/sda5            5249        5433     1485981   82  Linux swap / Solaris
>>>
>>> Partition table entries are not in disk order
>>>
>>> Disk /dev/sdb: 1008 MB, 1008730112 bytes
>>> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 962 cylinders
>>> Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
>>>
>>>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>>> /dev/sdb1               1         962      984816    6  FAT16
>>> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
>>>      phys=(774, 63, 32) logical=(961, 47, 32)
>>>

>>> GRUB.conf
>>> default=1
>>> timeout=10
>>> splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz