[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu install troubles

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Thu Feb 1 15:07:09 CST 2007

Hi, all,

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for this problem (also posted
at: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/3443)

I started the install from the Ubuntu 6.10 desktop CD, but through a
console first set up the partitions with fdisk and mkfs.jfs. I chose
"manually partition" as I want this a multiboot system and want control
of the partitioning, and skipped through gparted as everything was
already set up. Now, when I change the choices in the "prepare mount
points" screen to what I want I keep getting an error of "No root file
system" and can't get past that screen.

I have an IDE drive that shouldn't enter the discussion as I don't want
to touch that drive.  I have a SATA drive that I have installed WinXP on
(sda1) with a small data partition too (sda5).
I partitioned the sata disk with these other partitions:  sda2 (ubuntu
root - "/"), sda3 (swap), sda6 (untouched, will be another linux root
partition for another distro), sda7 ("/home"), and sda8 ("/shareddata")
The "prepare mount points" screen picks an hda partition for root (which
I don't want), but when I change it to sda2, I can't get past that
screen as it keeps telling me there is "no root file system".

Thanks for any ideas!

sjm