[CS-FSLUG] Kubuntu 7.04 Widescreen display bug?

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 20:54:01 CDT 2007

Hey everyone,

I've been tinkering a little with Kubuntu, just for a few hours today
to see how it worked. One thing that I found was a show stopper was
the way it handled my monitor and video card, I even edited the
Xorg.conf file by hand to try and get around it but without success.
The problem was resolved with some difficulty once when I was using
the NV driver, but as soon as I installed the proprietary NVidia
driver I was unable to get Kubuntu to consistently use the correct
resolution. When I last left it, threw my hands in the air, and
started looking for my Mandriva CD, it would have the right
resolution at the log in screen, but I could get the screen to move
up or down by moving to it's edges and trying to move the mouse
furthern. I fixed that problem but it would come back, and when I
would log in the blasted thing would jump to a different resolution,
it didn't matter how many times I changed it, or what configuration
app (or even manual file editing) was used to try and get it to use
the native resolution. Nothing would work.

Has anyone else had this problem with Ubuntu/Kubuntu?

Nathan T.