[CS-FSLUG] Managing Partitions/Backup software

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 23:04:52 CDT 2006

Hey list folks

I've done it again, my Windows partition is fried and needs to be
restored. The story isn't too long so I'll tell you all about it.

Recently I got myself a small NAS box, the little thing came without
a hard drive, but that wasn't hard to add and now I have a nice SMB
and FTP file server with access control to boot. I started moving
files over, then realized I no longer needed the storage partition on
my Win/Linux desktop and started cleaning that up before deleting the
partition. I got rid of the partition and everything was looking
good, then I resized the Windows XP partition to take up the spare
room using QtParted and that's when the trouble started.

QtParted resized the actual partition, but the formatted space was
still the same. I couldn't shrink it back to the exact same size
because that information was lost, and I couldn't use the Mandriva
partitioner to fix it up either (although had I used that in the
first place it might have worked).

Now I'm fed up, I don't want to have to reinstall Windows once again,
it's a real pain in the backside dealing with an operating system
that needs at least a dozen drivers, nearly a hundred different
applications, at least a dozen reboots, and hundreds of patches every
time it's installed clean. I can't ditch Windows right now because I
still like playing my games, and I need it to run some of my
hardware, so I'd like to find a backup solution that is no longer
dependent on the partition size remaining the same.

I want some suggestions on backup solutions that do not require me to
be running Windows to restore the backup, and that will not require
the partition size to be the same. Particularly though I would like
something I can use on more than one machine, and is easy to use. At
this point I don't mind going with a commercial package, in fact
earlier I was looking at Partition Magic, which tragically is now
owned by Norton now.