[CS-FSLUG] OT: Prayer Request-Sermon

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 21:56:54 CDT 2006

On 9/29/06, Michael Bradley, Jr. <michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/29/06, Christopher Rose <kf6snj at lycos.com> wrote:
> >
> > Bordeaux, a Cajun highlander, from Rapids Parish in central Louisiana,
> > was an older, single gentleman, who was born and raised a Baptist,
> > living in
> > Southern Louisiana. Each Friday night after work, he would fire up his
> > outdoor
> > grill <snip>
> >

> The joke made me snicker, Chris, but honestly, if I were you I would drop
> it faster than a red-hot coal. Some time in the past year, it may even have
> been about this time last year, the pastor at my parish told a "Baptist
> joke" <snip>

Christopher, I apologize, I fired off this e-mail without having given the
explanation of my concerns which I had originally intended to convey (I got
distracted by something else in the process of writing my first message,
sorry):

My pastor's "Baptist joke" -- which was a light-hearted jest about how many
varieties of Baptists there are in our local area and how there is sometimes
well-known rivarly among them -- and most of his homily had to do precisely
with what your sermon addresses. Allow me to quote from your sermon: "If we
are truly Christians, we are committed to Christ and his teachings, bound
unto him by God's Holy Spirit through his sacrifice upon cross. This means
that we should not seek to the divide the church, but to pray for it. To
pray for its growth and healing. This also means that we need to forget
about those things that divide the church. Too often the church becomes
divided because we forget what is truly important. That is Christ."

But even with those good intentions, the pastor's joke backfired with regard
to those people who were upset by it, and it's not hard to imagine how they
may have spread the word among the congregants at their own churches about
how "the priest at the local Catholic Church pokes fun at Baptists from the
pulpit; I was there, I heard it myself ..."

Anyway, you are in my prayers and I do pray that all goes well for you.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
My home on the Net ::