[CS-FSLUG] Where from, Bible software, updating Ubuntu

Chad chadfluegge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 22:59:56 CDT 2006

Interesting to see where everyone is from.. I was originally born in
Westminster, MD where my dad was the pastor of a small church. We moved
to Moscow, Russia in 1995 as missionaries, and returned state-side in
June of 2000. In 2002 my dad felt that the LORD was leading him to come
up here to the UP of Michigan and start a church.

Well, I finally got Bible desktop setup the way I want it. After
deleting (how I don't know) the crosswire.org source from the database,
I was kind of at a loss as to how to get all my texts installed. I
finally downloaded them all manually and extracted them into
my /home/username/Sword/ folder.

After installing Bible Desktop, and having tried both Gnomesword and
Bibletime, I would have to say that I prefer Bible Desktop to the other
two. The only problem I have so far is that it will - without fail -
crash every time I click on Tools/Options... As long as I don't click on
that, the program runs flawlessly. Even the the strong's links work like
they're supposed to, unlike Gnomesword or Bibletime.

Got another question too. Several days ago, (after a clean install of
Ubuntu) I had 67 updates available for installation. Desiring to keep my
computer up to date, I dutifully downloaded and installed all 67
updates. After installing all the updates, my computer promptly crashed
on me and would not properly run.

Not entirely convinced that one of the updates had caused the problem, I
reinstalled Ubuntu and - stupidly I know - reinstalled the very same 67
updates... Same deal, same symptoms, same everything; it simply would
not run properly.

I learned my lesson that time, and after the third install, I refused to
install the updates. However, after installing a bunch of software, I
noticed that I now only have 6 updates left to install and my computer
is still running smoothly. Now, was I just hallucinating in thinking
that one of the updates was crashing my computer?

If not, is it safe to assume that one of the remaining six updates is
the culprit, or did I just inadvertently fix some dependency problem in
one of the 67 updates, with some of the software that I installed? If
one of the remaining updates is the culprit, how do I determine which
one was causing the problem - if there really ever was a problem?

These are the remaining updates:

Gdm

linux-image-2.6.15-27-386

linux-image-386

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-27-386

linux-restricted-modules-386

linux-restricted-modules-common

It was several days ago already, when I had the problem and therefore I
do not clearly remember what symptoms my machine was displaying. I just
remember that it was really buggy and I couldn't hardly do a thing.

Thanks again guys and God Bless,
Chad