[CS-FSLUG] Software Linux Fedora

gginorio at sbcglobal.net gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 26 13:55:12 CDT 2006

Great,

> I have succeeded to uninstall gnomesword. If I download an rpm-file, I
> have used to click on the file, and mostly the program was installed
> properly, but I tried to get the browser Opera9 and did not succeed, so
> I am just wondering if I should change to Ubuntu. Have You ever got some
> bibleprogram for Linux rightly installed, may I add with a smile on my face.

I am an Ubuntu user (as are most home users by this point I believe). Gnomesword installed along with several Dictionaries and Versions of the Bible available from the Universe repositories through apt-get (synaptic package manager). Installing the books and stuff involves putting the downloaded files into /usr/lib/sword and then unpacking them. Atleast that is how it is done in Ubuntu 6.10.

> I have downloaded a file sword.1.5.9.tar.gz. from Crosswire.org, but
> when newborn Linux-man I don't really know what to do. Some suggestions
> are tar -xvf but in which folder? I tried to open up the zipped file
> with tar and I got different files folders, so I can see their names,
> but which one is similar to a Windows exe-file?

Installing stuff from a tarball without knowing the basics of compiling might be more of a headache that you want to deal with.

Gabe Ginorio