[CS-FSLUG] [Ichthux] Loaded Ichthux!

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 07:35:10 CDT 2006

On 9/13/06, xxx xxxx <cyberdamon at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Raphael,
> None of the things I listed were meant as any sort of insult.

And I didn't take it as such, don't worry :)

As for the comment on the root account. I am not familure with ubuntu and in
> red hat I always used root to set account adn configuration then logged
> out,
> this in no way implies I used as a regular log in account.
> As for the comment on sudo, it is accurate. Many lay people will find it
> more difficult than root, this will not be an enouragement for them to
> choose it.

Yet Ubuntu currently represents about 30% of all Linux users in the world
although it might be the only distro to use sudo by default. sudo has not
stopped Ubuntu from becoming the #1 distro in a matter of 3 years.  A vast
proportion of people using Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/etc. even come from the
Windows world and use sudo happily, most of the time without having to
notice it.

I also believe people are more aware that they are typing a command as admin
when they type sudo before it then when there is a sharp in the prompt...

All in all, it's a matter of habbit, and the two most popular nix systems -
MacOSX and Ubuntu - use it without it confusing anyone but old nix users who
are already used to the root account.

The dvd software issue will be a draw back for users. The app is there but
> when you select it you get an error window with several statements
> refering
> to xine.

Encrypted DVDs is really a big problem for all Linux distros. However, the
law is what it is, and I'm sorry I'll just encourage people to not buy DVDs
that are outrageously protected with DRM and such other protections.

Most users who come to Ubuntu are soon told about
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats though, so it makes it easier. The
mp3 issue is being worked on in Ubuntu Edgy right now, to make it much
easier to install mp3 support, since it raises the same kind of patent
problems... Again, I'm afraid I'll encourage the use of ogg :)

The biggest drawback for me was the konquerer issue. I will wipe my box out
> tonight and reload it again and see if the issue happens again from the
> install. Perhaps not, hopefully it was a fluke.

I have never seen this before. I tested this morning on a box I installed
with Ichthux and Konqueror works great... If it still does it, could you
still report a bug?

I think this is a great product and would benifit many it just needs these
> issues addressed, as any new product does.

The issues you reported are not against a new product, they are against
Ubuntu/Kubuntu. These issues are known, and mostly linked to law issues with
patents and horrid copyrights. I'm sorry our society got to this point, but
the Ubuntu/Kubuntu choice is to put the open-source values first :)

God bless
<><

Raphaël Pinson - raphink at ichthux.com
http://www.raphink.info