[CS-FSLUG] [Ichthux] Loaded Ichthux!

Raphaël Pinson raphink at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 18:17:25 CDT 2006

Hi Don,

Glad to hear you've been testing Ichthux :)

> I opened konquorer to post this email(which is done on my win system) and
> it would not display hotmail pages at all.

Hmmm... hotmail opens correctly here. Are you sure you are connected to the
Internet?

> I do not recall it prompting me for a root password, I tried root login
> with my password (in case I set it without thinking) and no go.

Ubuntu-base distributions (thus incl. Ichthux) do not have the root account
activated by default. Instead, we use sudo to achieve administrative tasks.
There are pros and cons about sudo. I really like it because it allows to set
very fine rights for users. "man sudo" for more infos :)

> I do have a couple of suggestions thoug. (these are in no way critisms but
> only sugestions okay?) I would like to see firefox, and gimp on here.

We are limited in size for the default installation by the size of the live
CD, which is 700MB. It is a choice in Ubuntu to have only one install CD, and
I want to perpetrate that choice. Some derivatives choose to use a DVD to put
more on it, but many people don't have DVD players yet, especially in
churches ;)

If you want to install Firefox and Gimp, you can do so very easily in Adept,
or simply:

    sudo apt-get install firefox gimp

in a console.

We do not include in Firefox and Gimp by default. As for Ichthux, our goal is
not focus on Christian needs. I don't think Gimp and Firefox are specific
Christian needs, so unless we add them to Kubuntu by default, they won't be
in Ichthux. Ichthux is not forking Kubuntu, it is being embedded in Ubuntu
and thus trying to stay close to it for both technical and ideological
reasons.

> On a separate note, (being a newbie at this) I noticed that when I install
> apps in linux there is no evidence of it. No "shortcuts" on the desktop no
> entry on the menu and no clue as to where it is installed. So even if I
> install them how do I access or know where they are?

When you install apps, there are new menu entries. You should find your
programs there, without needing to restart or even relog.
If you can't see the programs in the menu even after installing, you can try
typing "kbuildsycoca" and check the menu again.
Programs go in quite a logical place most of the time, e.g. Firefox goes to
Internet and Gimp into Graphics.

God bless
<><

--