[CS-FSLUG] Debian hosted email service - http://www.runbox.com

'Mash mashdot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 2 04:26:28 CDT 2006

Morning everyone,

I have just taken out email hosting with the company
http://www.runbox.com and would like to reccomend them.

They are running on a Debian patform and provide

10 GB email storage space.
1 GB file storage space. (seperate space for keeping files, very handy !)
100 MB message size limit.
Web, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, and WAP access.
Secure SSL access for webmail and email clients
Also their webmail interface is very clean, simple and functional.

I had two friends who had their Gmail accounts randomly disabled in
August and I did a Google search  and it appears to happen a lot. So
in light of this I looked for a hosted email service. Unfortunately I
don't trust the webhosting company I work for with my email. ( A
terrible thing to say I know.)

I suddenly realised how much I depend on Gmail and that there is
really nothing to stop them just closing my account and me losing all
my data. A scary thought !

So I have moved my important correspondence to Runbox and keep gmail
for threads etc.
I do miss having threaded messages though, gmail does it so well.

Oh yes and it costs about £30 a year.

'Mash