[CS-FSLUG] overlapping partitions

Jerry Van Brimmer jevb+cslug at tuffmail.com
Tue Oct 24 21:44:43 CDT 2006

On Tue, October 24, 2006 07:53, Hilding wrote:

> Thank You for Your advice. I can find a *.rpm-file and a *.tar.gz-file on their
homepage. I have
> always found tar-gz files a little bit difficult to get in order. RPM-files, could
that files be opened
> within Ubuntu? Is it possible with "alien"?

If you're still interested in testdisk, I would offer this:

Since it looks like you have a Windows installation, it might be easier for you to
download that version and run it from a floppy. If I remember correctly, that's what
I did. Try this:
1. boot up Windows
2. create a boot floppy, or you can get one here:
    www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
3. download the testdisk utility, unzip it
4. copy testdisk to your bootable floppy
5. boot your machine with the newly created bootable floppy
6. run testdisk and repair your partition table

WARNING!!! - testdisk is a DOS based program (the Windows version). It isn't very
intuitive in it's interface; if your not comfortable using this type of program, you
could possibly lose all your data!!!

I recommend that you read all of the documentation for testdisk before using it. It
*will* do the job, but if you're not interested in keeping your partitions, then
it's more work than you need.