[CS-FSLUG] Changed to Ubuntu - Gnomesword once more

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Oct 9 08:29:40 CDT 2006

Hilding wrote:

> I thank You for caring. I am not sure where to find the sword library,
> sorry to say. Do You mean that the downloaded file was not the correct
> one among quite a lot of mirrors, or do You mean that there was
> something wrong in the file. I have also been thinking of rpm-files with
> alien, but the rpm in Fedora5 was not so good.

In Linuxland, your home directory for each user will have severl files
and folders not normally visible. This is simply a matter of putting a
dot (.) in front of the name. This is not about keeping things from you,
but about keeping visual clutter down.

In a terminal window, run

   ls -a

and you'll see a long list of stuff, including those with a dot in
front. In your file browser there is a setting which allows you to turn
on and off the showing of these files and folders. However, from the
terminal window, if you see a folder named ".sword" you can rename it
anything else (I suggest ".xsword") and you can start over with
Gnomesword to see if it crashes.

I highly recommend you not use alien to install RPMs on Ubuntu.

--
Ed Hurst