[CS-FSLUG] Excellent analysis: Windows vs. OS X vs. Linux

Vincent Danen vdanen at linsec.ca
Thu Nov 30 20:09:29 CST 2006

* Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> [2006-11-30 18:54:16 -0600]:

> For three months, Halamka ditched his Windows laptop. He replaced it
> first with a MacBook running OS X. Then he spent a month using a
> Lenovo ThinkPad X41 running a dual-boot configuration of Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux Workstation and Red Hat Fedora Core. Finally, he
> took up a Dell D420 subnotebook running Microsoft's Windows XP. After
> evaluating all three to determine which worked best for him, he plans
> to begin testing his preferred setup with users, most of whose
> desktops currently run Windows.
>
> http://www.cio.com/advice_opinion/infrastructure/operating_systems/
> halamka_os_review_1.html

I think the most amusing thing about that article is that the beefs he
has with OS X (problems connecting with Exchange, etc.) are due to the
use of Microsoft Office, and not something inherent in the mac itself.
He somehow seems to think that Leopard might improve on those features,
but I think he missed that it has nothing to do with he OS at all.

Otherwise, it's a very interesting read and one I can't disagree with (I
have, after all, been using OS X on my desktops for about 4 years now).

Thanks for the link... very good read.

--
{FEE30AD4 : 7F6C A60C 06C2 4811 FA1C  A2BC 2EBC 5E32 FEE3 0AD4}
mysql> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;