[CS-FSLUG] Linux distributions

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:32:17 CST 2006

Hey list members

It's been a while since I've used Linux, I haven't used AL since I
got that Microsoft wireless laser mouse 6000 of mine which it
wouldn't support. I tried Kubuntu recently but the networking was
broken, it wouldn't mount my password protected network share no
matter how hard I tried.

I doubt I'll be going back near SUSE because I don't like the mess
they're getting into with Microsoft and I've never been really
impressed with YaST's hunger for system resources. I considered
Mandriva but I'd need to be completely reoriented because they seem
to have moved away from urpmi, and as many of you may remember I
don't like Fedora much because they neglect KDE and there's a lot of
effort required to fix that.

I was hoping that someone could take the time to reintroduce me to a
distribution, probably Mandriva. I would like to find one that uses
KDE, has most of the C++ developer tools including Qt Designer and Qt
Assistant, preferably has a commercial package that includes the
latest flash player, proper mp3 support working all through KDE, and
the proprietary NVidia drivers.

I'd be more likely to re-approach Linux now that I've seen flash
working well on the latest Kubuntu. It looked like all the timing
issues were fixed and the sound was once again synced with the video.
Perhaps some of you might recommend that I wait for the latest
upcoming version? Or perhaps someone could tell me about the Mandriva
Club and payment options?

I look forward to some replies, I've got an empty computer here ready
and waiting for an OS.