[CS-FSLUG] Notebook drive in desktop?

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 12:03:48 CST 2006

On 11/27/06, Eduardo Sanchez <lists at sombragris.org> wrote:

> Hi listfolks,
>
> I need to mount a notebook drive on a desktop chassis. Some people here
> suggest me that this is not possible. The notebook drive is a standard
> 2.5" notebook hard drive, and the desktop system is a PIII-500 on an
> ASUS motherboard. Can I mount the notebook hard drive on the desktop
> system?

Yes, but you will need an adapter cable -- I know from experience as I've
done this procedure myself, several times.  Such an adapter is available for
purchase through many websites, for example:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2329310&CatId=470

Without the adapter, you will not be able to connect the drive to either the
IDE bus nor to the desktop system's power supply.

You will also need to buy a mounting bracket if you wish to keep the
notebook drive installed in your desktop permanently or even for longer than
a few hours, otherwise the probability of it's getting damaged will be very
high.  When I've done mountings like this, it's always been for the purpose
of copying a disk partition onto a replacement drive (or something like
that), and so I haven't used a bracket and screws as the procedure is
usually finished in a few hours, at most.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
My home on the Net ::