[CS-FSLUG] VOIP?

Bob K Mertz bob at bibleboy.org
Fri Nov 17 13:29:04 CST 2006

John Mark Clayton wrote:
> Hello,
> Anyone using VOIP?  Friends living in the Bahamas encouraged me to install
> Skype so we could call each other for free.  It's not too bad from Windows, but
> the Linux version lags way behind.  So, I started looking into open source
> alternatives that offer PC-to-POTS calls.  I see several PC-to-PC projects, but
> only one PC-to-POTS: OpenWengo/Wengo/WengoPhone (what ever the
> difference is between all these names).  First, can you recommend some
> reading naterial?  What's the difference between VOIP & SIPS.  If you do use
> VOIP, do you use a PC or an enabled phone?
> Thanks,
> Mark

At our church we are using the following:

http://www.trixbox.org

http://connect.voicepulse.com

http://www.sipura.com/products/spa841.htm

It is working extremely well for us.  If you are only building a small
network of people, you won't even have to get a VoicePulse connect
account.  Just give everyone a phone or have them use a soft phone that
connects to the trixbox server and you can call each other via an
extension number without any charge at all.