[CS-FSLUG] FreeBSD

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Nov 13 20:43:17 CST 2006

veritosproject at gmail.com wrote:
> Printing: I have an HP.  Do I just install CUPS and HPLIP like on Linux?

Depends on the model. CUPS is a bear on BSD, because you have to do it
the hard way. HPLIP is even worse, but people do have it working. Let me
recommend we try everything else, first.

If you don't need network printing, I highly recommend Apsfilter. It's
much simpler and generally works better. If you really need HPLIP,
you'll need CUPS. I've done it both ways with a recent printer, and
don't like the quality of output from any hardware needing the HPLIP
driver. Which HP are we talking about?

> Sound: Please help me :) I have an AC97.

It's all about the chipset. If the kernel can identify it, here's the
procedure. As root, on the commandline:

    kldload sound

Parse that is "kernel (module) load (all) sound (drivers)". It will try
them all at once, and usually one will grab hold. After the CPU slows
down again, check to see:

    kldstat

The output should identify the modules running which weren't compiled
in. Here's what mine looks like:

Id Refs Address            Size     Name
  1    4 0xffffffff80100000 6d28f0   kernel
  2    1 0xffffffff807d3000 6ef8     snd_via8233.ko
  3    1 0xffffffffa78f2000 9306     ipfw.ko

Number 1 is obvious, #2 is the via823x sound driver & #3 is the
firewall. Once you've identified which sound module it likes, I'll show
you how to make it load at boot time.

> Only problem: the apparent Satanism of the developers ;)

Heh. It's an old joke; the little cartoon deamon is quite harmless
compared to the sadistic configuration requirements. I assure you if I
can get a handle on it, just about anyone can.

--
Ed Hurst