[CS-FSLUG] Worship music license

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Thu May 25 15:21:38 CDT 2006

I had a long talk with Mr. Straup of Christian Copyright Licensing
International.

http://www.ccli.com

He was very willing to help me understand and give me information on
using copyrighted worship music, even though I mentioned my support for
open source...  I appreciate his patience, since basically if I had my
way him and most of commercial entertainment would not have a job.

His suggestions:  As to music for the DVD, they do not cover that.  We
would need to contact the publisher.  The industry standard is about 10
cents per copy.  Another alternative would be to buy/download legal
copies, one for each DVD we distribute, from a 99 cent website.  He
mentioned
http://www.songtouch.com
as a Christian website.

I say let's contact the publisher, I will follow up on that with Mrs. C.

Marc said that live performances during worship or religious services do
not need any license (yeeha!), neither do practice time

(what about teaching time, Marc?  If our kids have a class that uses
copyrighted materials).  He called back with an answer.  He believes
that only if up to 10% of a piece is used (we would need those hymns
with eternally long stanzas... :-) )  So that wouldn't work, but he is
not sure.  I assumed "fair use" for educational purposes would cover
that.  We'll have to follow up that one.

Our Assemblies do have that worship element -  I'd say we call them
"Worship & Assembly", and then the worship music part (for which we are
covered without needing a license) would be on the worship part of the
program.  Then, of course, we could just consider the whole event a
worship/religious event (which it is in my view - we talk character
values, pray, worship, announcements.) No license needed for that.

Such a _live_ event as that, including music, can also be recorded for
purposes such as distributing it to families that did not come, but
cannot be sold for more than $ 4.00 a copy.  If I understood it right,
that does not need a license either. (Marc? is that correct?)

Now, if we want to project the lyrics on a screen, or print copies of
the lyrics, we would need a license.  FEFC's doesn't cover us, because
we are not affiliated with them.
$ 170 yearly for a group between 100-200 people
$ 223 yearly for a group between 200-500 people

He will be sending me printed information about the next steps.  He can
start our license year by us just giving him a call, effective that day,
he bills us later.  My opinion is that we do that in August - It would
be worth it for the right to print lyrics and have kids be able to
practice those at home.  If we felt at peace about this, it would be an
amazing cross-learning resource we could really make good use of.  And
definitely for the camp next year we will want a songbook.

Personally I will still be looking for Libre (open source) Christian
music.  Amazingly little of it so far.  Best resource until now: the US
military.  Their performances are public domain, and so are the
recordings thereof.

Yama
(I am blind-copying Head, Principal, garage band, to respect privacy)