[CS-FSLUG] Calculus

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Wed May 24 13:11:01 CDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Yama Ploskonka <Yama at veritasacademy.net> wrote:
> If science is finding out data about data, and data is U, i.e. Creation
> and Man's delving and musings on it, then the use and the parts that
> require Calculus is so minuscule as to be less than a rounding error.

I beg to differ.

> Yet you cannot get your degree unless you pass Calculus.  I can say with
> full (empirical) confidence that 99.9 % of more of _successful_ PhDs
> will never again see Calculus, until the day their chil is struggling
> with homework, and most will wisely pretend they are busy.

Empirical, you say?  Have you truly spoken to at least 1000 PhDs to
inquire as to their usage of mathematics, or is there some survery
behind this?

> because a sinful Harvard degree is worth more in the marketplace than a
> Bob Jones U one.  If I had my way, both would be worth zero, and people

Consider BJU's policy banning interracial relationships only went away
in 2000 after an uproar.  Consider that BJU went to court to defend a
policy denying admission to black students.  How much of the school is
based on a white Southern US cultural identity, and how much is truly
Christian?

>From what I've heard, from what I've read on the school's website, and
from the founder's lack of any academic credentials, academics aren't
something that the school seems to focus upon.  Does this really sound
like a great university?

(Interesting BJU's extremely onerous rules for students include a
prohibition against contemporary Christian music)

Dave