[CS-FSLUG] Novell brands its own open-source religion

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri May 12 01:21:29 CDT 2006

My reply is below this quote.

On 5/11/06, doc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> > the best of it to grab myself the SUSE 10.1 CD set.
>  > ... snip
> > If it supports my laptop hardware ...
>
> Why would you go for such code-bloat for a laptop?
>
> I am running the very compact and efficient Puppy
> 1.8 (2.0 due shortly) on two different laptops.
>
> Just wondering ...

The main reason is because PhoeNUX hasn't been released yet, but also
because puppy doesn't have KDE, KDevelop, Qt, Konqueror, KMail,
KOffice, etc....

The second reason is because as much as I like learning Linux and
contributing where I can, I much prefer using a distribution that's
designed with ease of administration in mind. Puppy is a lot like
Slackware or pure Debian if I'm not mistaken, it lacks configuration
tools like YaST. As a former Windows user who's had little luck with
configuration files, even when following instructions to the letter, I
feel much more comfortable when a configuration tool does the work for
me.

I appreciate your opinion though, I'm always glad to get replies :-) .
If I'm mistaken about puppy do correct me.

I have found one of the most problematic things about Linux on my
laptop is full support for the Atheros AR 5212 integrated wireless
card. Linux only supports it until you start using WEP or WPA
encryption, then it won't connect. I'm looking forward to the day when
this is fully supported (hopefully along with the touch pad).