[CS-FSLUG] calendar and reminder

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Thu May 11 19:18:08 CDT 2006

On 05/11/2006 08:34:53 AM, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Assume I use neither GNOME nor KDE. What would be a good calendar
> application with reminder functions?

The program "remind" is a calendar based on text files. No GUI
necessary for updating your calendar. The reminder syntax is pretty
simple: Apr 1 2006 MSG April Fool! My wife, who is non-technical, has
had no problems keeping the calendar up to date.

The actual "remind" command prints out your reminders. By default, it
lists the current day's items. It can also print a calendar. It won't
do real-time reminders. Though, I would suggest simply printing the
list daily (as a cron job?), and crossing off each item as it finishes.
Sometimes low tech is the best solution.

Personally, I wrote a script that prints two days worth of line items,
then a 5 week calendar, and e-mails it to me. That runs as a "cron"
job, so every day I get a fresh calendar.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

It is done.  I am the Alpha and the Omega,
the Beginning and the End. -- Revelations 21:6