[CS-FSLUG] Mail server advice

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Jun 17 20:58:42 CDT 2006

Naturally I'm looking at the RedHat docs for this. I've also read quite
a few outlines, but they all contain features and steps not applicable
to my situation. I'd be interested in seeing an outline of steps to
match the following situation, along with any gotchas:

- Mail server on AMD-64
- CentOS 4 Linux (non-negotiable)
- Server will be for a specific domain, but will not immediately carry
webserver tasks (that may come later). This mail server is separate from
webserver machine; the latter is remote.
- There is a gateway/firewall between this machine and the Net.
- Every other server and client on the LAN will be Windows, and maybe a
MAC or two.
- There are approximately 200 accounts.
- There will be no money for extras.

I don't know yet if I can convince them to make all the accounts webmail
based for their own safety, but I'll be working on that idea. Let's
assume the worst for now. I'll be training at least one Win-tech to help
admin the thing, and he looks forward to it, and has an open mind.

--
Ed Hurst