[CS-FSLUG] Putting Linux on a Sony Viao

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 20:15:14 CDT 2006

On 6/16/06, 'Mash <mashdot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most new PC hardware usually has a restore image and drivers specifically for
> windows, pre-installed in a hidden partition. This allows you to boot
> off a restore CD and rebuild your system quickly.  I know DELL does
> this a lot.

I hate those restore images, they're only as reliable as the hard
drives. I won't buy a computer that doesn't come with everything on a
rescue media or with the actual OS media and a driver disk. I suppose
the idea behind having the OS as a hard drive image stored on the very
same drive is so they can make a little on the side when you have to
send the whole computer back for them to replace the drive and restore
the OS.

> You can remove this when you are installing LINUX. I don't think there is
> anything in the partition that you could not download off the SONY website if
> you wanted to do a clean install of XP again oneday.

If I were to get a computer cheaply with a windows image on it I'd
just erase it in the first place before knowing what I might be
missing. I've found that with my Toshiba laptop after using Windows I
missed many of the personal touches Toshiba put into the OS. Frankly
I've never seen Windows run anywhere near as stable on any other
system as on that little laptop. I wouldn't want to know what kind of
personal touches Sony puts on their laptops [rootkits & spyware].