[CS-FSLUG] Open Source Theology

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Fri Jun 16 18:42:19 CDT 2006

Chris Brault wrote:

> That said, I am certain that the Holy Spirit worked in the minds of the
> church fathers. I am also certain that since they were not first hand
> recipients of the knowledge upon which they expounded upon that they
> made mistakes. Also, I am certain the the devil was also at work on
> them. That is why their words are not Canon and the Apostles' are.

I second that.

Has anybody an opinion about those texts (especially a few letters of
Paul, and maybe even a few Apocrypha) that do get to be commented on in
passages of our usual canon but didn't make it as Scripture?

The standard answer I get from pastors is that if God had wanted them to
make it to the canon, He would have made sure of it.  Not a good answer:
God has let quite a few things go by that were definitely works of men,
but done in His name.

The fact that the guys that decided on the canon were fallible and might
have had some interests is established by their not only setting the
Creed, Canon, but also proclaiming Constantine and even Helen as
Apostles (this is still recognized by the so-called Orthodox Church).

By the way, a most common use of Scripture to take both sides of a
question comes from those:

"I and the Father are one." -John 10:30 (Bishops Athanasius and Alexander)

 "The Father is greater than I am." -John 14:28 (Bishop Arius)

Pax vobiscum,

Yama