[CS-FSLUG] "God fails to save idiot in lion enclosure" --The Register.

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:18:50 CDT 2006

I wonder if this one will get twisted around somehow as some one's
proof that God doesn't exist.... Frankly I think the whole idea of
putting God to the test might have helped the lion decide what to do
wtih him. I don't recall God ever saving anyone from deadly situations
they put themselves in on purpose to test him.

http://www.theregister.com/2006/06/11/rzsl_week_4/

A man in Ukraine set out to prove that the Lord would protect him when
he clambered into the lion enclosure at a Kiev zoo Sunday, The St
Petersburg Times reports.

An official at the zoo said: "The man shouted 'God will save me, if he
exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes
off and went up to the lions."

The man got his answer when an affronted lioness grabbed him by the
throat and killed him in front of horrified visitors. The official
helpfully explained: "A lioness went straight for him, knocked him
down and severed his carotid artery."

On the bright side at least it was quick, the lions didn't decide to
play with him first. Interestingly enough one of the theories about
why the martyrs would hold their arms out so they resembled a cross
shape when thrown to the lions was so the lion(ess) would crush their
necks and get it over with, rather than killing them much like a
playful cat might eventually kill a sparrow.