[CS-FSLUG] Calculu, was Re: [OT] Re: Seeking opinions

Yama Ploskonka Yama at veritasacademy.net
Mon Jun 12 11:05:15 CDT 2006

I beg to differ.

The point of college is to achieve certification, i.e., a 'rite of
passage' that jumps you from $6.50 an hour to $9.50 or better, precisely
depending on how expensive your college was, and if flipping burgers is
where you are, at least you will be the manager.

I have never seen an employer evaluating "analytical thought" except
during interviews, and then how?, but I have seen all over the phrase
"commensurate with qualifications", qualifications meaning degree and
sometimes experience.  From experience I know most employers actually
prefer conformist people, not analytical/problem solving ones.

As I have read somewhere (should look and try to make a proper quote I
believe it was in Time magazine 100 people edition, speaking about the
founder of a share picture website), part of the effect of wikipedia and
such open source is that certifications become moot.  You are what you
do, you participate to your ability, not to your "qualifications" which
was the way up to post modernism.

Web version 2.0 seems to be more Christian also, you have talents,
freely given, you use them, for the good of all.

Of course there is a lot of the old style, ivory-tower, Galileo-burning
folk still holding a strong clutch on most societies, especially the
most backwards.  Qualifications is the number one requirement in
sub-developed countries.  In Turkey I was amazed how important rote
memorization is in the whole process of getting you somewhere.   In the
US the dot-com era has shown us that hiring any "talent" can backfire.
Yet Open Source is moving forward, done by people who just happen to
know and have the willingness and the time to do things - college or none.

It would be interesting to know what you mean by "yes", "a good
university" and "analytical fashion".  BTW, AFAIK most people can't
balance their checkbooks, college educated or not, and the rate of
divorce is higher among college educated folks.

best to you,

Yama