[CS-FSLUG] LXer Supporting Net Neutrality

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 02:22:57 CDT 2006

On 6/2/06, Don Parris <dcparris at carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I thought y'all might want to know that LXer is supporting Net
> Neutrality.  Essentially, the telecable giants are attempting to base
> access (speed, priority) on the ability to pay.  This means that if I
> can pay more money than you, I get more priority and you get less.
> Currently, we all get the same priority.  My editorial today explains it
> more detail.

I think we all support net neutrality here, at least I know I do.

As it happens I've also recently been watching a very old video about
ARPANET, and I don't think such a thing would be that difficult to
deploy today (except for the manpower and funding needed). As
invididuals we probably wouldn't be able to set up a global link, but
it would sure be fun to experiment around with that stuff and perhaps
implement something of much smaller scale from scratch. Of course
that's all for those of us with too much time on our hands, and until
exams are over that won't be me :-p .