[CS-FSLUG] SuSE locking up durring install

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:36:28 CST 2006

On 2/11/06, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:

> David M wrote:
>
> > I've been googling for quite a while, and can't find an answer. Ed, I
> seen you had the same problem, Did you solve it? I'd really like to get SuSE
> on this laptop.
>
> No, I did not resolve it. I gave up and am running Kanotix. You could
> also try CentOS, which seems to have less trouble with hardware than
> SuSE does these days. There are quite a few complaints about this on
> Usenet.

This is just a guess, but I think the lock-ups have something to do with the
combination of your laptop's 64-bit processor and its ATI graphics
card+chipset.

I own a Compaq Presario laptop with an Athlon 64 processor which also has a
built-in PCI Express based ATI graphics adapter (X200M, or something like
that). I'm running Gentoo, and manually downloaded and installed the
proprietary ATI driver for 2d and 3d acceleration for X.org. When X starts,
it checks for and automatically loads the kernel module (if installed) which
provides 3d acceleration. And when that happens, my laptop locks-up hard --
I can't switch virtual terminals (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F?), I can't connect to it
from another computer with ssh; I am forced to manually reboot the machine.
Yuck!

I discovered that if I disable (by renaming it to something w/out ".ko" on
the end) or delete the kernel module for 3d accel., then X will load fine;
and with a properly configured conf file, 2d accel. works fine with the
proprietary ATI driver installed.

I've searched all over Google and Google groups, and have yet to discover a
solution to this problem -- after all, it would be nice to have hardware
accelerated 3d graphics!  The instructions on ATI's site seems to indicate
an awareness of this problem, but I haven't been able to glean from them any
solution.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
[Jesus said] Tell aching mankind to snuggle close
to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace.

My home on the Net ::
   http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA