[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

David Aikema david at aikema.net
Fri Apr 28 01:22:23 CDT 2006

On 4/27/06, J Michael Grove <michael.grove at halcyon.com> wrote:
>  Not sure about all this thread since I just joined the group but from what
> I read you should look at;
>
>  http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/it_google_form.asp
>
>  http://distance.ncsu.edu/
>
>  http://www.online.uillinois.edu/catalog/Programs.asp

Personally I'd reccomend against online/distance education, and am a
little leery of "accelerated" universities - as at least one of the
ones you linked to seems to be.  If Nathan likes the idea though then
it might save him from having to move.  One Canadian alternative to
those schools you mentioned is http://www.athabascau.ca/

>  for starters.  Or just get an engineering degree and go into IT.  The key
> is learning UNIX and if you aren't running Linux now jsut do it.  If you are
> and I would assume you are.  I have some tutorials at work that may be of
> assistance.  Let me know...

An engineering degree is good for some things and not so good for
others.  Computer science (and I imagine IT as well) will teach you
some different things that computer engineers will likely lack
experience with.

It all depends what sort of career Nathan wants to head into.

Dave