[CS-FSLUG] LXer Readers Debate Linspire's Contribution

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 00:05:29 CDT 2006

On 4/27/06, Don Parris <gnumathetes at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> While I understand the desire to make closed codecs/drivers available,
> there should be a goal to develop libre codecs/drivers to replace the
> former.

As I understand it there are a lot of codecs out there, but they are
impaired, just like the open source mp3 codec, by patents.

> Linspire seems more interested in maintaining the status quo,
> rather than seeking to mover people away from closed source software.

Micheal Robertson talks a lot, but in the end what is gained from it?
Of all of the software developed to push Linspire (LSongs, LPhoto,
etc...) and licensed under an OSI approved open source license, I
don't see any of it in more than a very small handful of
distributions. What other contributions does this guy give to open
source? Sure, he makes it sounds like he's giving as much as he can
while still being able to feed his family, but the truth is that most
of his investments seem better suited for selling his products.
Micheal Robertson is getting good PR by playing nice with open source,
I can't say as I've seen him do more than one or two things I'd call
evil, but neither has he really done anything that isn't simply
playing his cards right as a business man. I can't say that he's
benevolent or malevolent, but I do know one thing, people with too
much money often listen more to it than to their conscience.