[CS-FSLUG] Geeky Prayer Prompters

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Tue Apr 25 18:22:21 CDT 2006

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 13:42:11 -0400 "Ritchie, Josiah S."
<jritchie at bible.edu> wrote:
> So we all have a bit of geek in our blood and a bit of Christ in our
> hearts. Here's a topic that should be of interest.
>
> What is the most elegant geek way you can think of to send yourself
> reminders to pray for certain items on a regular basis?
>
> As an example: I'm about to have a kid (due June 5th). Let's assume
> that I'd like to pray daily for this child at some point in the hour
> the child was born. So if he/she is born at 9am, I'd want a reminder
> at 9 wherever I am to pray. As I've been messing with Google
> Calendar's ability to send SMS reminders, I could setup a prayer
> calendar with a recurring appointment. This would send me a reminder
> of the event to my cell phone daily.
>
> My Dad has setup appointments in Outlook that his PDA picks up and
> send him reminders in the same way I did with Google Calendar.
>
> What other ways could we prompt ourselves to pray using the geek tools
> we enjoy?

I use a program called "remind". It's actually a character based
calendar program. You enter reminders into a text file. For simple
stuff, the syntax is pretty easy: date AT time MSG reminder text.

The "remind" command itself parses the reminder file and produces
output. I have a cron job that prints reminders in paragraph form, plus
puts a text drawing of a calendar for the next five weeks. The cron job
then e-mails that to my home and work.

I have a daily reminder for doing my Bible study. Sadly, I'm not
disciplined enough to remember without that little push.

There is a daemon mode to the "remind" command. It pops up dialog boxes
at the appropriate time. So if you want real time reminders, it can do
that to.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
him, who have been called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28