[CS-FSLUG] Seeking opinions

doc edoc7 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 22:31:38 CDT 2006

 >>Timothy Butler wrote:
>> (ie: job with a good wage) for the tuition cost. Very importantly
>> though, I am 19 and only now finishing high school, I definitely want
>> to to attend a good school, but I must admit shorter courses have some
>> appeal.

When you say "shorter courses" do you mean compressed
course schedules or courses that have fewer overall
classroom/online contact hours and academic rigor?

I have taught in a variety of formats and have become
a big fan of sequential compressed courses.

One format is that each course is 5 weeks long with
classroom contact of 4 hours each week plus online
contact for another 15-20 hours.  This is the same
as any full rigor course anywhere.

I like it because students immerse in one subject
at a time and give it their full attention.  If you
are not employed full time you might take two such
courses at a time.  You can, in this format, earn
your degree in the same length of time but are
likely to enjoy it more and retain it better.

If you are looking at courses that shorten things
you will either receive less credit per course,
e.g. 3 credit hours vs 4 credit hours or the program
will not be properly accredited and you will receive
a poorer education plus you will earn a less valuable
degree -- both due to the lack of depth and because
other institutions to whom you may want to transfer
credits or attend for a higher degree will not
recognize your work.

BTW:  Look for programs where quizzes and tests
are for accountability rather than the lazy way
for professors and deans to "measure" learning.
Quizzes and tests are very poor indicators of
long-term retention or out-of-the-box application.
You need to be able to test well for certificates
but you need to be able to think well (vs short-
term data-regurgitation for a quiz or test) to
succeed in an ever-changing world.

--
Respectfully ... dmc

Home page: http://bibleseven.com