[CS-FSLUG] City attacks Catholic Church

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 14:52:23 CDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing most on the list are not Catholic. Still, we overlap on
> such a broad range of things, you'd have to worry when a city government
> openly attacks Catholics for doing the same things we all would likely
> do...

Ed, thanks for the link and excerpt.  Indeed, the U.S. government on many
levels -- city, county, state, federal -- has become increasingly hostile or
at least ambivalent to Christian  principles and concerns.  That hasn't
happened everywhere, indeed I think the situation has actually improved in
recent years in some locales within the 50 States.  But the anti-Christian,
pro-secularistic developments do seem to be a nation wide trend, generally
speaking. Will the new Supreme Court justices help to reverse this trend, or
at least provide judicial backing for Christians who seek to do so at the
grass-roots level?  Only time will tell ...

In other news:  President Bush Praises Catholic Influence

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=43443

Washington, Apr. 07 (CWNews.com) - President George W. Bush praised the
Catholic faith for "helping our citizens acquire the character we need to
live as free people," and paid a special tribute to the late Pope John Paul
II, as he spoke to a National Catholic Prayer Breakfast in Washington, DC,
on April 7.

"Thanks for inviting a Methodist," the President joked as he was introduced
to the crowd. Noting the meatless menu for the breakfast-- occurring on a
Friday in Lent-- he added that "there's not a slice of bacon around."

In today's world, President Bush said, skeptics question whether all of the
world's people truly long for freedom. "Some believe you cannot distinguish
between right and wrong," he added. "The Catholic Church rejects such a
pessimistic view of human nature, and offers a vision of human freedom and
dignity rooted in the same self-evident truths of America's founding."

"Freedom is a gift from the Almighty," the President continued. He went on
to extol the example set by Pope John Paul, who "set off one of the greatest
revolutions for freedom the world has ever known. "

Appealing for the support of his Catholic audience, Bush cited the effort
"to strengthen a culture of life." He implicitly acknowledged the criticism
that some Catholic leaders have leveled against proposals to curb illegal
immigration, but said: "An immigration system that forces people into the
shadows of our society, or leaves them prey to criminals is a system that
needs to be changed."

http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=43443

In Christ,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life . . ." (John 14:6)

My home on the Net ::
   http://www.michaelsbradleyjr.net/

IC XC NIKA