[CS-FSLUG] LIST-ADMIN: Introducing Google Christian

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Apr 1 16:15:14 CST 2006

Hi everyone,
	Well, it may be true that there is nothing new under the Sun, as the
Preacher in Ecclesiastes says, but we're Linux users -- not Solaris
users, right? Good, because there is something new: ChristianSource
has been purchased by Google for a tidy sum that I'll use only for
good causes.

	This is all part of Google's continued attempt to index everything
-- including as much of God as He will allow. They figured a good
start would be to buy up services such as ChristianSource to get
started. Google Christian will also include Blogs4God, GospelCom.net
and Crosswire.org (which will create a new version of SWORD that has
integrated Google Earth Bible Maps and also provides search results
within Google Desktop Search).

	I'll be taking a part-time position at Google as part of the
transition; namely, I'll be the moderator of Google Christian's sci-
tech related groups, including ones on Linux, Mac OS X and Java. As
you know Google's normal motto is "Don't Be Evil," but for Google
Christian, they've adopted a new one: "Be Good."

	To access ChristianSource, you will need to sign in using your
Google ID (often your Gmail account). You'll notice some new
features, such as "Where's Was This Post Sent From?," a feature that
will show you the sender's home town in Google Earth. Posts will
include contextual links to appropriate Bible verses and
commentaries. You'll also be eligible to be part of the limited beta
testing group for Blogger Christian.

	You may have heard Google also launched Google Romance today. I'm
pleased to announce the subset of it for Google Christian, Google
Courtship, will be launched next week. In addition, Google has agreed
to include Operating System and Bible Translation compatibility in
their matching profiles so that Google Courtship won't try to match
CS-FSLUG users with those who use Windows, nor KJV-only folk with
those who memorize passages from the New Living Translation.

	If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler    -   tbutler at google.com
Moderator, Google Christian Sci-Tech Groups
http://christian.google.com/groups/scitech
         (650) 253-0000 ext. 7777