[CS-FSLUG] Labor laws

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Fri Sep 30 09:17:14 CDT 2005

David M. wrote:
> I've been googling for a couple hours on labor laws that consider an employee
> late for work but I can't find anything.
>
>  I have always been under the impression that you have 7 minutes after your
> scheduled time to make it to work without being considered late.
>
> Is this true? Can anyone point me in the right direction with any information
> on this subject?

I always thought that had to be defined by the employer.  I've always
considered 10-15 minutes to be the mark.  If you own the company, it's
probably your definition.  However, make sure you have provided a written
policy documenting what you consider as being late.  If you don't own the
company, check with your company policy.

When I was a supervisor, I always told subordinates (security personnel) to
call me if their relief had not shown up by 15 minutes after the scheduled
time.  Now that I ride the bus, my company hasn't written me up for being
late, though I've not been more than 10 minutes late via the bus.  They seem
fairly gracious about that.  If I had to arrive earlier, I would be forced
to catch a bus at 2:00 to get to work by 4:00.  I'm already catching a 2:35
bus.  My bus typically arrives at my job right at the time for me to start,
and it takes an additional 3 minutes to walk up the street to the office.

That's my experience.  ymmv.

Blessings,
Don