[CS-FSLUG] NI: LXer: 10 Days as a Windows XP User: A GNU Perspective on Things

Robert W. robertwo at insightbb.com
Thu Sep 29 21:02:10 CDT 2005

On 09/29/2005 07:33:19 PM, David Aikema wrote:
> As far as the number of patches required to bring the system up to
> date, there tends to also be a fairly high number that come through
> most linux distributions' update utilities (admittedly you're
> covering more than just the OS there - you're also covering some user
> applications).  He mentioned that one had to be installed in Windows
> separately from the others, but in the case of update tools for most
> linux distributions they sometimes won't even update kernels.  I also
> have issues in Linux with some device drivers that aren't included in
> the kernel packages, and need to be manually rebuilt for each kernel
> release (unless you want to wait half a week for an RPM version to
> come along).

Updates under Linux are completely automatic with tools like apt-get
and cron. No clicks, no dialog boxes, no hassle. I get an e-mail every
day telling me what has been updated. High number or not, at least I
don't have to remember to load them. And that means the box stays up to
date.

But you are right, even apt-get won't update the kernel automatically
:(

> It also takes a little time to adjust to new things - be it a new
> version of Windows or a new version of Linux.  Was one week enough?

I've used XP at work for a year (longer? the days just run toegther). I
have to admit, it really makes me long form my Linux system at home.
Windows is probably okay for a dabbler. But I need my computer to get
work done. Windows just gets in the way.

--
Robert W.
robertwo at insightbb.com

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you. -- Matthew 7:7