[CS-FSLUG] NI: University wastes millions on software for students

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Sep 27 17:56:34 CDT 2005

"In his letter, Don Parris noted that the state of Massachusetts has
officially adopted the OpenDocument format for all its state documents.
OpenDocument is a publicly accessible standard not restricted by copyrights.
The purpose of this move is to preserve the sovereignty of the information.
OpenOffice.org supports the OpenDocument format. Microsoft does not.

"An alternative to the operating systems Windows XP and Mac OS, called Linux,
also exists and is growing in popularity. Numerous versions of the operating
system, called distributions, are available for free download. Each
distribution comes packaged with different sets of software and is tailored
to specific purposes, such as Web servers or for home users."

http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2005/09/26/65277

to you, at this time.