[CS-FSLUG] I'm sick of it!

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Sun Sep 25 10:52:58 CDT 2005

Nathan T. wrote:
> On 9/24/05, *Fred A. Miller* <fmiller at lightlink.com
> <mailto:fmiller at lightlink.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Saturday 24 September 2005 7:07 pm, dmc wrote:
>      > Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>     [snip]
>
>      > > My SUSE installs are the same........just works.
>      > >
>      > > Fred
>      >
>      > Don't have Crystal Lewis anything but Puppy is very audio friendly
>      > as well.
>      >
>      > Left the Lizard for the Puppy ... ;-)
>
>     NEVER! ;)
>
>     Fred
>

> I like how SUSE looks, it has a very nice and professional look to it
> and it tries to make apps match the desktop environment you use;
> however, at the same time I've had lots of problems with it. For me it's
> Mandrake all the way, even if it doesn't look as professional as SUSE.
>
> I may be trying SUSE 10.0 when I can get my hands on a finished version,
> but so far Mandrake has had the upper hand over every version I've tried
> from 9.0 up.

I'm downloading SUSE 10.0 OSS RC1 now.  After having played with Beta 4, I'm
planning to stick with the little scaly fella.  Don't worry, I'll continue
to play with other distros, but SUSE 10.0 definitely solved my last gadget
problems.

I did help to catch a bug in the GNOME desktop.  The developers seem to
think it's related to the Qindustrial theme.  Everytime I messed with the
settings in the "Details" dialogue, I got constant crashing with GNOME.  It
was specific to a the "QT" theme, but was serious enough to cause Nautilus
to crash-recover-crash-recover... every time I started GNOME afterwards.
Hopefully, they'll get that resolved.

GNOME worked well otherwise, so just don't get too froggy with the theme
settings. ;-)

Don