[CS-FSLUG] Hurrican Rita

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 21 05:07:55 CDT 2005

Last year when several hurricanes came through Florida
we were in the possible path of the all of them.  We
were spared the fury of all three but had to evacuate
every time.

We were then living in a mobile home as we pressed to
get our new home, steel, built. (You may click on Steel
House at this site to see the construction process
http://bibleseven.com)  We would not evacuate now as
I do not believe any of the shelters are stronger than
our home.

Each time we left we understood that we could come
home to nothing, either due to heavy winds and rains
or due to a tornado spun-off from the hurricane.

I learned quickly to have large plastic and metal
containers/suitcases, etc into which I placed anything
sensitive (mostly Ham and computer gear) -- prewrapped
in sealed plastic bags and to take to the shelter
portable irreplaceable items.

We were not at risk of storm surge, so the odds of
everything being swept away was poor, the greater odds
were of the house being breached and the winds and
rains damaging and scattering the contents.

Are you at risk of storm surge?

There is a lot of room for the path of Rita to change
some but if you feel that you have to move a lot of
stuff the time to do so is now!

If you are not at risk of storm surge I'd just package
sensitive valuables to be protected against rain and
wind if the windows, doors, or roof is breached.

If storm surge is a significant risk then you either
have to get everything on a trailer/truck and out of
town or risk total loss.

I have prayed in agreement for your safety and the
wisdom of God in choosing how to handle the "stuff".

doc

--
Blessings ... David

Freelance Journalist/Writer