[CS-FSLUG] Intelligent design...

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Sep 18 14:11:51 CDT 2005

>> The bigger problem, though, is that the chances of  such
>> conditions occurring in the wild is even less likely. :-) But,
>> the thing is, Genesis tells us God made Adam from earth, so
>> essentially that's not really different from what scientists claim
>> possible, other than that they refuse to admit an intelligent
>> force behind it.
>>
>>     And, then comes Nathan's point: they have to point out how it
>> wasn't done intelligently... which, if they thought that, would be
>> true.
>>

> Adam was "designed" from the "dust" by God himself. After all, Adam
> means "from the red dirt". Man does not come from the dirt. Man
> comes from God. Our bodies may be dust but we are not.

     Right, but think about how God did it. Obviously somehow he
changed the dust into flesh. I'm betting He did it by essentially the
same means as the scientists would like to argue happened (e.g.
creating amino acids through a fairly complex process), only God
could do it without any problems since He has a "bit" more power than
scientists.

     It reminds me of a question that skeptic Michael Shermer asked
to a believer, on the PBS program Question of God, last year. He
asked the fellow, who was an M.D., did you ever wonder how God raised
Jesus from the dead (physiologically speaking, that is)? Obviously,
Jesus was physically dead and then brought back to life. From our
standpoint, it really doesn't matter so much how, but obviously
somehow God did it, and he probably did that, and the raising of
Lazurus, and the creation of Adam, etc., by means He could explain to
us if He wanted to.

     It seems to me in such cases, God probably didn't suspend the
laws of nature so much as control the environment in a way far beyond
what we could ever do, and hence arrived at the result that the laws
He created say should happen given those circumstances. :-)

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Now  that  I am a  Christian  I  do have moods
Editor, OfB.biz   | in which the whole thing looks very improbable:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | but when I was an  atheist I had moods in which
timothybutler.us  | Christianity looked terribly probable."
                                                       -- C.S. Lewis